Monday, March 5, 2012

Time Flies!

I spent today going back through scrapbooks trying to finally journal all the events that have slipped through the hands of time.  It was a journey of joy laced delicately with sadness because time has gone by so quickly.  Our ten year old Gus was only 3 years old in some of the pictures!  Everything was new and exciting to his little hands and mind!  It's amazing to see how far he's come!  And Cupcake, she's just entering some of those stages!

I really wish there was a button to freeze time, so I could hold onto these precious lives for a little bit longer....  Despite the absence of the button, we've been called to teach our children so many things, most importantly the love of Jesus!

Tonight during our bedtime rituals, we've been reading out of the children's illustrated Bible.  Gus was reading to Cupcake about the Ten Commandments.  He was going through each one explaining in terms she could understand.  He explained about stealing by pretending to take one of her toys for keeps.  He explained about idols and how nothing is to be more important than God.  We should only worship Him.  Then he got to the 'Honor your mother and father.'  He started having this conversation with her about how its his favorite commandment because its hard for him and he likes a challenge.  She agreed whole heartedly. It was wonderful to hear them sharing what they've been taught and coming to common ground on trying to put it into practice, especially when they thought I couldn't hear!  As I overheard this, I was encouraged.  They are hearing.  They are learning.  Even as time gets away from us, we need to be reminded what's important.  It'll never be a waste of time to help our children grow in the Lord.

Deuteronomy 11:19

Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

No comments:

Post a Comment