Monday, March 19, 2012

Still Waters

(Still Creek photo curtesy of the internet.)

So, I was walking/jogging this morning and this song was stuck in my head like a cadence.  "He leads me by still waters.. I'll walk with Him always... always... always"  It's a song I learned at Summer camp many years ago and really haven't thought about it in a long time, but the rhythm of my pace kept time to the tune.

Over and over the chorus repeated in my thoughts.  As i passed ditches of water that were rushing to get the water from one place to the next, I noticed its speed.  I heard the babbling water dancing across the stones on its journey.  The puddles rippled as my tennis shoes disturbed their glassy surfaces.  The song played on mentally.

Finally, I started thinking, I had yet to see still water.  Why would the psalm say Still water and not babbling brooks?  What was the importance of the stillness?  Stillness is important!  God said in Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." When we are so busy being busy it is hard to concentrate!  Sometimes, we need to be still and listen.  It quiets our soul, brings peace.

So me being still is important, but what about the water?  Then it dawned on me!  Still water reflects!  God can lead me to still waters so I can see who I am, where I've been, and what I will become in Him!  

I'm glad He put the song in my heart this morning.  I'm really glad He keeps leading me, even to places I don't always understand.  And, I'm really glad He will never leave or forsake me, even when the still waters rage.

2 comments:

  1. I heard one time that sheep cannot/will not drink from moving water. So if the only available water was a moving stream, the shepherd would have to dam it up so that the sheep could drink.

    Interesting...isn't it?...how when my life is rushing along at a frenetic pace, God sometimes throws a "dam" in the midst of it...so I MUST slow...and drink in His presence...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I also wanted to say...
    Ariana & I were singing that same song yesterday!

    ReplyDelete