Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thinking Outside Yourself


Turn on the news and it won't take long to be discouraged.  There is a lot going on in this world that is snowballing down a hill and taking as much as it can with it.  School shootings, poor role models, and desperate attempts to get ahead without regard to the people destroyed to obtain temporary success surrounds us everyday.   News travels fast, but bad news is like lightning!  The shock value of the negative by far gets better ratings because that's what people talk about.  
But does it represent the majority? 

There are good people out there!  They are doing a lot of good stuff!  We have got to start bragging about the positive!   People thrive on encouragement.  It's like water to a flower and a lot of sunshine!  When you start looking for the good, it gets easier to find it.  

The other day, I was getting gasoline at one of those pumps that you cash in points to save money.  I am new to the process and haven't redeemed them too often yet, but idea of saving $1.30/gallon was enough to nudge me out of a warm home and into the stormy gloom!   

I LOVE a bargain.  I love getting the biggest bang for my buck, but I had a dilemma. I'm standing there with my card, my van, and a brand new gas can that has been so improved environmentally that it's no longer user-friendly--overwhelmed.  I could get 30 gallons at my earned rate but there is no way I could get that much in my van/can.  (I honestly thought about finding some empty water bottles from under the back seat!)  My other dilemma?  How to open the new fangled can!  

This stranger next to me, had pity.  He walked me through it, without making me feel stupid, and then get this!?!-he reached in the back of his truck and offered me his extra gas can so I could get more fuel!  I must have looked ridiculous, with my mouth hanging open.  Really?  So, I kept filling.  Boom!  25 gallons (15 in the van + 10 in the cans!) and he poked his head around the pump.  "Need another one?" He retrieved another from the back of his truck.  "30!" I shouted over the surrounding exhaust noise.  He smiled and handed me his card, "Please just return them when you're done."  I gladly accepted the card and kept thanking him. 

He didn't know me.  I still don't know him.  I couldn't identify him in a line up. He did something completely generous and unselfish.  That's what I'm talking about!  Absolutely awesome!  

We live in a very blessed country! We have more blessings than we will have breath to say thank you!  Use your resources for God's glory.  Giving up a little may mean more to someone else than it would ever be to us.  Be kind.  Be loving.  Be joyful.  Share the love of Jesus! 
 It'll never be a waste of your time.


Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 

(PS. if you need a horse farrier, let me know, I have a card for man whose character speaks volumes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment