The frigid cold snow is biting at the windows today. It's time for round two of the shoveling for the day and as I glance out the breakfast nook window I watch Super Daddy making his way across the shoveled path. He stops to kick a stray pile out of the way. Moments later I see Gus trailing behind dragging his bright orange shovel, showing off the same posture and stance as the man walking in front of him. He stops and kicks the remainder of the pile to the side with his ice covered boot. Like father, like son in so many ways.
We love moments when our children choose to do something we've encouraged, but there is no feeling like the moments you are in when you realize they are a reflection of you! Something in their behavior or reaction looks so familiar and you realize it's something you do yourself.
When I am exhausted I often rub my toes on the sheets and I quickly find myself off to sleep. An old habit that brings comfort. One night when we were "camping out" in the living room- all snuggled up as a family- I was taking in the moment and settling my head on my pillow. Gus was curled up beside me with his eyes already too heavy to stay open and then it happened. This little motion under the covers got my attention. He was rubbing his toes on the blankets to help himself fall asleep! Priceless! I giggled to myself that he did get something from me after all, besides that stubborn streak that he got hit with from both parental units. I was overjoyed that we had that special connection. He just yawned and went to sleep. I was elated.
Copy-Cat-Cupcake and Gotta-try-that-Gus are learning things everyday. It got me thinking: Are we setting examples of things we want to be repeated? And who are we looking to to learn from ourselves?
Jesus gave us the perfect example to follow and we are expected to follow it! Philippians 2:5 says that our attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus. That's some pretty high standards, but standards worth aiming at. And most of all, it's something I want to pass on to my children. I want them not having to guess where I stand when it comes to my relationship with Jesus. I want them to know when mistakes are made; Jesus doesn't bail! I want to try to wrap their minds around unconditional love and an amazing thing called mercy. I want them to be reassured by the power of forgiveness.
I love when my kids do something that connects them personally to me, but words can't express when I see a bit of Jesus growing in their lives! Praise God for the example set for us.



LOVE <3
ReplyDeleteYou're children are perfect because they are not only a little bit of you and Brent but also of Jesus Christ. You have a beautiful family. <3
ReplyDelete